Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Driving to work on a Wintery Day

Or at least we thought it was going to be a wintery day. I fell asleep last night to the sound of rain falling on the windows & roof. I woke up this morning in anticipation of snow and was rather surprised to see that it was still raining. I could hardly believe my eyes! What happened to the snow that was forecasted for our area?!!!!!! I was not snowed into my house! I got to go to work!
:-) All the way to work the rain poured and I was thinking about how much I like rain and how amazing rain is, even if it is not snow! During a rain it is usually over cast, which I actually like. I always think of reading a book by the fire or sitting around the table playing games. Of course I am not sitting in front of a fire today I am sitting at a desk, but that is okay. I still like the over cast, foggy, rainy look. After it rains the smell of the earth and tree seem so much more fresh and clean. Of course that could be because water has been falling on everything for many hours. I was walking to my car after dropping off something this morning and the rain was drizzling all over me and it made me want to laugh. It is January and it is raining. We are being told that it could snow this afternoon, but it is not likely. I personally would love that. I miss the snow, ice, cold and fun that comes with it. Snow men, snow ball fights, sledding, sliding while traveling down the snowy road! ;), and bundling up for the cold in sweaters, scarves, mittens, and hats. I love hats! They are so much fun and give you a completely different outlook. Anyway, back to the subject....:)~
I am sorry for all of you that do not want it to snow, you are more then welcomed to post a comment saying so. I want it to snow. While driving here I was thinking of the poem by Robert Frost. Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening.



Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know,

His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Even though it is not snowing I am going to post this poem. It was one of the first ones that I memorized as a child and said in front of a group. It has a dreamy, another land feel to it. You can almost hear it as you are saying it to yourself.

Enjoy this rainy weather

9 comments:

Heather Johnson said...

I woke up with anticipation of snow as well! There was ice instead, and it's still raining too, but all the same I like the overcast kind of weather as well. The feelings it gives of, as you said, being by a fire, or playing games, is as some put it..."scrumpcious". Makes me think of making cookies too for some reason...I guess that goes with the "warm, or scrumpcious feeling".

That is a cute poem, I hadn't heard it before. I like it. And it does give a neat picture as you read it to yourself, that part is cool too.

Have a great day, even if it hasn't snowed yet! Though I have to admit I was wishing for it! Rain is good, and it's wonderful we have some moisture again.

H

A. Victoria said...

I know what you mean, I like to bake when it is overcast or rainy. I am not sure why, but I do that too. Thank youfor the comment and I am glad that you liked the poem. Maybe it will snow later on. :-)

Thanks!
A

May God Be Glorified! said...

I think we had much the same outlook on this day. I love the snow too! But, I must say I do enjoy rain as well. I was driving home and saw lightning last night- lightning and thunder thrill me! But I was glad to see even the hint of snow that we got this evening. I hope we get more!
I liked your poem. I enjoy Robert Frost.

S

Micah David said...

On returning home from LA, I think the weather there will be wintry. I do believe this is the warmest I've been in January (the AC is on in the hotel room). They said this morning that it was as cold as it gets (somewhat tongue in cheek, I'm sure). Maybe, I'll hit Maine on the way home...

A. Victoria said...

Thank you SJ for the comment. I read your post yesterday & had to laugh, it sounds like we were hoping for the same thing. I know what you mean about lightning and thunder, it is miraculous and beautiful to see. I am glad that you enjoyed the poem.

Micah, LA, hmmm...what fun! :-) I can't imagine having the air conditioner on in January that just does not seem right. Lol, Maine would be wonderful to go see, but it is not exactly on your way home. :-) Hope & pray you are having a blessed time and you have a safe trip home.

A

JFC said...

Getting back from LA in fairly temperate weather was a blessing. Last year we encountered some ice on the way back, and it was 12 or 15 degrees when we arrived back in Springfield.

Now, I don't want to complain about snow, if that's what the Lord sends. But I'll take rain any day!

(Actually, snow only has 2 problems. It's cold, and it's slick on the roads.)

A. Victoria said...

I am pleased to hear that you were not having to travel home in ice & 12 degree weather.

I am sorry that you don't like snow very much, but those 2 problems you gave for snow, are 2 of the things I like about snow. I love to have cold weather so I can bundle up & I like to slide (in the proper areas). :-)

I am glad to hear that you all made it home and had a blessed time.

JFC said...

I developed an aversion to snow when, for most of my growing up years, and then many of my adult years, we lived out of state, but always returned home to Missouri for Christmas.

Invariably we encountered icy roads, often on Christmas day travelling between one set of grandparents on the east side of the state, and the other set on the west side of the state.

If you forget driving, 'tis lovely. As the songwriter put it ...

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful,
So as long as there's no place to go,
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

A. Victoria said...

Jfc, I know what you mean about driving on bad roads, though I am still inclined to say that I like icy roads, sorry. :-)

Patti, It was a long time ago wasn't it? I think it was in one of the performing art nights.

Thank you for leaving a comment.

A