Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Called to be Light

I have been thinking a lot about all of the people that I have been blessed with as friends, family members, & brethren. I know I have probably written something about this before, but I am so consciously grateful I want to 'say so' and give thanks to our Lord who blessed me. The Lord has brought many wonderful people into my life and I am thankful. When I was younger I prayed for good fellowship. God has given me wonderful fellowship! These people love the Lord, want to do His will, show His glory to the world, & their brothers & sisters in the Lord. They are not hiding the good news from those that need to see God; they are willingly stepping out and obeying the Father in heaven. We (God's children) are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people. We were meant to be Holy as our Lord is, acting as He did moment by moment, listening to His heavenly Father and being willing to be considered peculiar. Certainly we shouldn't aim at being different for the sake of being different! That kind of drawing attention to our 'wise self' is just a type of foolish pride. The scripture says we're intended to focus on our Father's will and obey. This will often cause us to be different from the world's system. I pray that when I step out of my house that the Lord prepares me for those that I come in to contact with and that when they look at me they don't see me, but my God.

May He be glorified in everything we say and do!

Matthew 5:14 - 15 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.- Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house

Matthew 5:16 - Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 6:33- But seek ye First the Kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all of these things shall be added unto you.

Luke 8:16 - No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.

Luke 11:33 - No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

6 comments:

May God Be Glorified! said...

Amen, what a blessing, A! Thanks for sharing. It is easy sometimes to desire to 'fit in'. To refrain from standing out, and yet we are called to stand out- for Christ's sake.
Let us not hide our lights under bushels, but hold them high for all the world to see.

Heather Johnson said...

Yes, what a blessing to have godly friends and fellowship.
I like what you said about our being lights, and the verses you shared were good reminders.

Your prayer is one as is in my heart...that others would see my Lord and not me when I am among them.

May we press toward the mark, and show forth God's kingdom till he come or till we die.
Thanks for sharing such good reminders!

HJ

A. Victoria said...

J Sisters, You are welcomed. Thank you for the comments and encouragement. Thanks for last night too, the fellowship with great friends was fabulous. :-)

nate & jenni said...

This is a great post, and you've spoken well about what we each have to be thankful for. Amen and amen.

One thing you said jumped out to me about what makes us each unique and pleasing to the Father:

"moment by moment... willing to be peculiar" for His sake.

But not STRIVING to be peculiar, that was a great point. And it's so easy to get caught up in that 'foolish pride'... we all want to be unique, it's a part of our society. But the most profound uniqueness is internal, and it comes from accepting, not displaying... no external display could ever express it...

Thanks-

A. Victoria said...

Nate, Amen, the internal uniqueness is what we are seeking from the Lord and when we have allowed that change to take place on the inside it comes to the outside for others to see. So that it brings glory to HIS name and him alone.

There are lots of other things I am thankful for but I thought that the post should stay a reasonable size. :-)

Thanks
A

JFC said...

Shining as lights