Thursday, November 10, 2005

Waltz Class

I had my first waltz class this last Tuesday evening. I was so much fun! I've always wanted to learn how to Waltz and Swing dance. I have never done it, but my mother and I have talked about it since I was in my mid-teens. I think it's beautiful to watch a couple that knows how to waltz together.

It is so much harder than I ever thought it would be though. Oh my goodness! It was a stretch for my mind to get my feet to go where they were supposed to. I kept wanting to use my right foot over and over again. Then when I thought I was getting the steps down(keep in mind I was just doing 'the box'. This is where you go back on right, out on left, together with right, then forward with left, over with right, and together with left). :) About the time I thought I was getting the simple, but mind boggling right, left, right, left. The teacher put me with a partner. He was very sweet, even when I stepped on his feet.:) He was an older gentleman, & knew how to waltz, which was a very good thing. He was learning how to lead. Leading! What an important word. Growing over the years, I 've been taught that the man should lead, and I believe it. Watching everyone in the class trying to learn to waltz together and my sweet, but poor partner, I realized in another way how important it is for the man to lead. When I forgot to watch for his lead and we both tried to lead we got all messed up, me going one way and him another. It was bad... When he forgot to relay clearly where he wanted me to follow next, and I wasn't sure which way he was going, it was horrible. In waltzing the man has to telegraph to an extent, so that the lady knows what to do next. He will put pressure on your arm by pushing or pulling, so that you will know which direction he is planning to go. When he fails to telegraph what he direction will be, we end up falling, stumbling, and stepping all over one another. . It is such a parallel with life. If you are in a leadership position and not leading, so the followers can follow a clear path, everyone gets muddled up. Since it was on the dance floor and we were learning it was amusing, when we had the little mess ups; but in real life, it would not have been amusing. I needed this gentleman to lead me, whether it was with the feel of his hand moving one direction or another, or a little bit of pressure on the arm of the side that needed to be moving. In life I need to be led, whether it is by the gentle reminder of someone's actions, or words, or a little bit more pressure from some one in leadership who is correcting me before I stumble all over myself and possinbly cause someone else to fall!. Following! Another very important word. For the followers part, I need to be willing without a moments hesitation to change where I thought we were going, to where ever he is now leading. I need to watch carefully for those signals, and then adjust so I am in step with them. After a while the dancing got to be easier. I could quit conciously thinking' right, left, right left', and just waited for those subtle signals. I could usually follow my partner. Towards the end I even got to learn a 'turn'!. That was beautiful to watch and fun to do once I was able. The teacher brought up a really good point that I was surprised and impressed with. She explained how the gentlemen would continue to hold onto one of our hands and gently lead us through the turn and around in a cirlcle until we were back in front of them. She then said "There will be 3 steps before you turn around and can see him again. " Ladies make sure you let him lead you! Let him signal how quickly he wants to go. If you anticipate the steps and try to speed it up you might get there before him.You want to get there together. Walk slowly & let him bring you along." I loved it! My mom and I both looked at each other and had to smile. :) It was great! I had no idea that I would like it as much as I did, or that I would see so many good lessons.

Anyway, this post ended up being almost as much a reminder about leading and following as it was a story about the fun & excitement that I had on Tuesday. I am looking forward to going back this coming Tuesday, learning some more, and practicing my 'following.'. :)

2 comments:

strunny said...

i LOVED this post!! and it's so neat how this was such a parallel to life and leading and following. i especially liked the part where you stopped thinking about the specific directions and started looking for the actual leading...i can just picture you dancing and thinking all this! how fun...let me know how it goes, that's another thing i want to do someday....lol :) bless you!!
sarah

nate & jenni said...

I like the parallel. I think a lot of endeavors fail because the leader doesn’t understand the responsibility, or the followers aren’t willing to submit to leadership. It never occurred to me that this is the same as dancing, but it really is.