Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Poem from Streams in the desert

He was better to me than all my hopes;
He was better than all my fears;
He made a bridge of my broken works,
And a rainbow of all my tears.
The stormy waves that marked my ocean path,
Did carry my Lord on their crest;
When I dwell on the days of my wilderness march
I can lean on His love for the rest.

He emptied my hands of my treasured store,
And His covenant love revealed,
There was not a wound in my aching heart,
The balm of His breath has not healed.
Oh, tender and true was His discipline sore,
In wisdom, that taught and tried,
Till the soul that He sought was trusting in Him,
And nothing on earth beside.

He guided my paths that I could not see,
By the ways that I have not known;
The crooked was straight, and the rough was plain
As I followed the Lord alone.
I praise Him still for the pleasant palms,
And the desert streams by the way,
For the glowing pillar of flame by night,
And sheltering cloud by day.

Never a time on the dreariest days,
But some promises of love endears;
I read from the past, that my future will be
Far better than all my fears

Like the golden jar, of the wilderness bread,
Stored up with blossoming rod,
All safe in the ark, with the law of the Lord,
Is the covenant care of my God.

I was touched by the part underlined above. I so often do not understand His ways, or what is going on, but He does. He will teach me what ever I need to learn, (mostly trust.:), if I will learn what He is so patiently trying to teach me.

2 comments:

nate & jenni said...

That is an amazing selection of poetry, the part you underlined alone speaks volumes. "Streams in the desert" - who wrote it?

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your words of encouragement. I really appreciated it, and I just wanted to tell you so. In Him-

nate & jenni said...

I've read through many of your older posts and I was blessed and encouraged by them. I really like the Emperor of Peru - much better aloud, I agree :)

I'm wondering if you would send me an email. I'd like to discuss a few of your posts, and it's difficult in the comments section alone. If you're willing, please drop me a line at nathanschoen@yahoo.com