Friday, January 21, 2005

Rhoda/ Prayer

Rhoda
Words and Music by Larnelle Harris

Peter was thrown in prison
Made a scapegoat for Harod's wrath
So a girl named Rhoda met with the Saints
to intercede on his behalf
Hearing their prayers God answered
Like time and time
again
And while still in prayer
Rhoda heard Peter call
But ran to announce him without letting him in,

And all of heaven said
Rhoda! open the door
Don't you turn and walk away!
Here is the one you've been praying for,
and God answers when you pray.
Oh, don't waste your time,
open the door and find
that the answer to prayer is there,
Rhoda, open the door!

Are you an effectual, fervent prayer,
casting your mountains into the sea?
Or do you pray like these friends of Peter's
not taking God seriously?

Rhoda, open the door,
Don't you turn and walk away
Here is the one you've been praying for,
and God answers when you pray.
Oh don't waste the time,
open the door and find
that your answer to prayer is there,
Rhoda,
open the door!


I heard this the other day and couldn't stop thinking about all the times I have prayed without expecting the Lord to answer my prayer. When He does I am surprised! Why is it that we don't believe He wants to give us the best and that He will never forget nor forsake us? Sometimes the answer does not come the way we want it to or in the fashion we thought it would, but there is always an answer.

I am praying about the Lord sending me to college for some basic training. My parents are great, they are being so supportive, but I don't want to do the wrong thing and go to the wrong place. I am beginning to think He has answered my prayer, in a way I didn't expect. A curve ball so to speak.:) I guess I just have to make the next step.

This weekend a co-worker was talking to a group I was with. We were talking about sometimes having to dive in to a situation God has led you to. I said sometimes it is scary, but it is so much easier to obey when He calls. It is miserable when we don't just obey Him without hesitation. Now it is time for me to step out in faith.

Wow! I feel so much better getting that said.

I heard another song not too long ago about diving in.
It talked about standing at the edge of a river and looking into the rushing current, and giving in to the Lord; or making the choice to go in and not turn back, once your feet had left the edge. The picture is of a man standing by the water, looking in and knowing it will change everything to dive. Once he does in: he will go deep, it will be over his head, he will be caught in the rush and in the flow, and yet he wants to go. It is the same way with the Lord. I know if I dive into this it will be over my head. I will be lost in the rush and flow, but yet I want to go wherever He wants me to go.

I hope this makes sense and is encouraging. It helped me to write it all down and think about it.:)

No comments: