Friday, October 28, 2005

Quotes and word of the day.


Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims
may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber
barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty
may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do
so with the approval of their own conscience.
C. S. Lewis

tyr·an·ny ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-n)n. pl. tyr·an·nies
A government in which a single ruler is vested with absolute power.
The office, authority, or jurisdiction of an absolute ruler.
Absolute power, especially when exercised unjustly or cruelly:

I have sworn... eternal hostility against every form of tyranny
over the mind of man (Thomas Jefferson).
Use of absolute power.
A tyrannical act.
Extreme harshness or severity; rigor.
[Middle English tyrannie, from Old French, from Late Latin tyrannia,

from Greek turanni, from turannos, tyrant.]

I have always enjoyed C.S. Lewis and when my Mother sent this

to me I knew I needed to post it.

I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that

life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy. -
Rabindranath Tagore, philosopher, author, songwriter, painter,
educator, composer, Nobellaureate (1861-1941)

Well said! We will find joy in our lives when we are doing the work we have been given.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORD OF THE DAY

parrhesia (puh-REEZ-i-uh)


noun 1. Boldness of speech. 2. The practice of asking forgiveness before

speaking in this manner.

[From New Latin, from Greek, from para- (beyond) + rhesis (speech).] From political leaders to business heads, very few like to face the truth. Some claim to want candor but follow the dictum of filmmaker Samuel Goldwyn who said, "I want everybody to tell me the truth, even if it costs them their jobs." If you're not entirely sure about your boss, we recommend starting with parrhesia (sense 2), before giving in to parrhesia (sense 1)


:) I like this word. I do not exhibit it as well as I ought , but I still think it a fascinating word.


The power to command frequently causes failure to think. -Barbara Tuchman,author and historian (1912-1989)

Hmmm. :)

1 comment:

A. Victoria said...

Thank you for bringing up the fact that I needed to clarify. I think it would be the speaking out boldly, I don't like to do that. :) I am glad to hear that you see that though. Let me assure you that it is the Lord then, I would not do that of my own will. :)