Tuesday, February 08, 2005

(A & A's excellent KC adventure ,or Aunt Fle and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat!)

Some of our relatives, who are the best sort of people, live in Kansas City. We enjoy every moment that we get to spend with them. So sister and I decided it was a good weekend for a road trip. Before we left we went to our friend Abby's house warming party. Abby has been praying about this house & keeping us up to date on how it's being refurbished. It was gratifying to see what God had done through her dad's diligent work. I liked their choices of decor.Abby told us stories about the house and how many years her family had been involved with it. An amazing story. We also got to meet her sweet children.

We left from there and headed for Kansas City. Mom called around the time I left Abby's house and we talked for a bit. Alyssa & I visited the rest of the trip about her gymnastics, books, and some other interests she has right now ( still more books ; }).

The children were up with Aunt Fle and Uncle Keith when we arrived. We visited excitedly for a few moments. Everyone was fatigued, so we didn't linger . The next morning I slept in - which was beneficial- almost my favorite part of any weekend these days! :) Everyone spent the afternoon at the mall. I am so impressed with my uncle! Keith is a man who would rather do about anything else, but there he was shopping, with enthusiasm! (Naturally,he could have bowed out if he hadn't wanted to go - which happens on ocassion ; } - it would have been fine, but he chose to be with us! ) He spent the whole afternoon looking at pink clothing. He never complained . He watched the little ones as they twirled before mirrors, experimenting with pink clothes, hats, and jewelry. He seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself just watching his girls. Did I say he never complained? ; } I don't know very many guys who would do the Dread shopping/just looking Outting with such charm!( Now,of course, my father does! ) We had a fabulous time. We stopped by the most intriging coffee shop ; full of coffee flavors, smells, assorted teas, shelves of coffee mugs, presses,and flavorings. I would love to work at a place like that! I could imagine helping there, smelling coffees, making coffees, and visiting with people. Uncle Keith bought us a delicious lunch. From there my aunt drove me by Parkville University and through the little town of Parkville. The University looked like the victorian stone college out of the movie Anne of Avonlea. I enjoyed the architecture , the towers and the beautiful grounds.The community was charming. It reminded me of the historic section in Saint Charles, Missouri. The entire ambiance urged you to grab that book you'd been wanting to finish, settle in and enjoy.My uncle and aunt went out for dinner and a movie in the evening. The little ones and I watched Tom and Jerry( This is great stuff! ), and then played downstairs. I think they played hide and seek for the most part. McKenna was a joy! When it was bed time she came right to me and let me put her to bed.I was so concerned she was going to decide she didn't know me well enough and it was going to be a long night. We had a wonderful read aloud and she laid down. Of course it took almost an hour for her to fall asleep but she did. Morgan was also easy! She had her drink of water, laid down and she only came back downstairs once. The other 2 went to bed around 10 without any trouble. I stayed up and watched TV. We all slept really well after a full day of shopping, touring, and chasing.

The next morning Aunt Fle and I decided to go have our hair cut and highlighted. Scary..... ;) We found a place that was open, had a reputable looking ad.,and scheduled appointments.( As an aside here Uncle Keith kept saying things to Aunt Fle like, " Hon., are you sure you two want to go somewhere on just the strength of an ad.???; Shouldn't you find a salon that someone you know reccommends"?) We left a little early so we could go look at yarn, which was a bust. We didn't find anything that would work for socks. But we had a wonderful visit. My aunt and uncle are kind. They offered to let me come and live with them, if I wanted to. They have a basement that is not fully finished and they offered to change the floor plan some so I could have my own room. They said they'd help me find a job there and if I wanted to go to school, help me get that put together. I could hardly believe my ears. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to be willing to do. She basically wanted to let me know if I wanted a change of pace I could come stay there. I told her I would think & pray about it. I don't know if I would want to be that far away from my immediate family. I have a reasonably interesting job , and though I'm interested in several subjects I don't have a desire to go to college right now. So I'm praying about it. There isn't anyone I would prefer to live with more, if not my family here. When we got to the salon they sent me to a stylist that was just what I had been hoping for. She had been doing hair for over 10 years and didn't look like she had been experimenting on herself ! She asked me what I wanted and then showed me a couple of options. When I asked what she recommended I liked it. So I let her proceed with her recommendation. My aunt got a stylist that was exactly what I'd been afraid I might end up with. I think he must have decided what he was going to do to her hair before he ever asked. Fle has hair that is so dark brown that its almost black, She told him she wanted auburn streaks, and dark brown highlights. He did this "creation" in copper tones, light brown and blonde over top of her dark hair! She was sitting around the corner from me and I only got to see her a few times. One of the times we looked at the color in the bowls this hairdresser had and had to wonder why auburn and brown highlights used blonde,copper and light brown dye.:) His vision also did not include cutting her hair the way she had asked. When he finished Fle was shocked. I was shocked.She handled it beautifully.( She paid for it! I wouldn't have.) On the way home she kept saying "Ok! I can do this! With time I can learn to like the color, and I can probably fix the hair style so that it looks like I want it". I was proud of her. I would have cried and been very upset with the man for not doing what I had asked him to do.It would not have been a good thing-at all. I'm sure that I would have been reduced to buying seven different hats to wear until 'the creation" had grown out enough to cut it off.Uncle Keith did admirably. He did look surprised, but he kept saying "It's great, I like it, you look great, you can wear that honey, don't worry about it." And he didn't even say " I told you so!" The little girls said "wow!!!!!" A lot. ; }We took Uncle Keith to the airport after we got home and said good byes. He's a wonderful man. Its evident how much he loves and cherishes his family. Alyssa and I stayed until 5:00 and then left for home. We didn't want to leave and they didn't want us to go, but reality and responsibility do sadly exist. We had a fun trip driving home in the rain and fog. Driving in the fog is almost as intriguing as walking in it ; it's mysterious and foreboding.
Perfect family.Perfect weekend!

No comments: